Four years of celebrating a Year Group that has gained considerable sporting success (2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016), the fifth and final Celebration of Sport for the Year 13s took place last week. Congratulations to all those that were acknowledged. The finalists and trophy winners are below.
DEB MILLS TROPHY: Sports Person of the Year – female. For the female student who has
achieved the highest level in sport and represented the College in a variety of sports
- Audrey Martinez – Basketball, Netball
- Daphne Martinez – Basketball, Netball, Volleyball
MORRIS BARLING TROPHY: Sports Person of the Year – male. For the male student who
has achieved the highest level in sport and represented the College in a variety of sports
- Haydon Smith – Basketball, Cricket, Hockey,
KILLARA TROPHY: For outstanding leadership and contribution to sport in the school on and off the field of play.
- Daphne Martinez
- Winners: Tiarne Southon & Liam Collins
HORNAL TROPHY: Awarded to the student reaching the highest levels in sport.
- Rachael Wilson (2017 NZ & Oceania Canoe Sprint Championships – 1st U18 women K4 200m, 1st U18 women k4 500m)
- Kyran van Asch (Winner – 2016 NZ Gymsports Championships – Parallel Bars – Mens Artistic Gymnastics; Winner – 2016 NZ Gymsports Championships – Mens Artistic Gymnastics – Teams)
STUDENT COACH OF THE YEAR: awarded to the student coach who has made the biggest improvement to the performance of a team and who has seen to be particularly effective in developing individuals within a team
- Daphne Martinez (for outstanding contribution to coaching Newlands 10 – Runner Up – Netball Wellington Centre – Collegiate 2B; contribution to Newlands College netball over 5 years as a player, coach and this year as captain in leading Newlands 1 to a successful team result in the Netball Wellington competition and 6th place at Lower North Island Tournament U19 Harbourside Representative)
- Matthew Bain – Firmin Family Cup for overall commitment to 1st XV Rugby; for outstanding leadership and commitment to the team
- Ian Murray – Ryukyu Kempo Karate Trophy for the best and fairest player on a 3,2,1 points system for each game of the season in rugby; for excellent defence and commitment to training
- Daphne Martinez – The Te Huna Family Trophy: for the student who demonstrates commitment and dedication to coaching.
- Audrey Martinez – Netball Trophy: awarded to the player who, at any level, demonstrates outstanding levels of commitment, enthusiasm and endeavor; for outstanding contribution over 5 years of Newlands College netball and to the team effort of 6th place at Lower North Island Tournament.
- Louisa Naftel – The Hockey Cup: awarded to the player demonstrating the highest level of commitment to Girls hockey; for outstanding dedication to the team, a great leader and captain
- Oscar Harris – The Horwell Cup: awarded to the player demonstrating the highest level of commitment to Boys hockey; for outstanding play, attitude and leadership in the team
- Casey Norman – 1st XI Boys – Most consistent player (donated by Northern United Hockey); for a consistently high work rate, effort and skill level in all games and showing leadership as captain
- Renee Hargreaves – 1st XI Girls – Most consistent player (donated by Northern United Hockey); for a great attitude, embracing hockey with a willingness to learn a new position, and a great performance at every game
- Liam Collins – The Hoop Cup: for the senior boy who demonstrates dedication and commitment to the development of school; for an outstanding contribution as team captain and assistant coach of Senior B Team. Selected to referee at U15 National Championship and Secondary School Nationals
- Audrey Martinez – The Gray Family Trophy: for the senior girl who demonstrates dedication and commitment to the development of school.