In your inboxes or mailboxes by now should be the September newsletter updating you on the month gone by at Newlands College. Some highlights from that newsletter, reflecting the busy term that our Year Nines had include:
- The Year 9 Mathswell team – Melissa Chu-Fong, Clarice Du Toit, Islam Khaled-Abbas, Stella Lu, Yash Veer Singh and Haydon Smith – proudly represented Newlands College at the interschool competition. Mr Widdowson (who trained them in the lead up to the event) was very impressed with their teamwork and effort.
- The music department has been busy. Congratulations for all of those who were involved in the Spring Serenade including Stella Lu, Germaine Ambray, Rebekah Tiongson and Josh Chadwick.
- Juniors will now have selected their options for the 3 Day Discovery Programme running at the end of Term 4. More information about this will be sent home to parents next term. Students should now bring payments for the option to the Bursar. For more information about the options see this previous post.
- Sporting action involving Y9s include: Junior Boys Basketball beat Heretaunga in the Division 2 final; The 15th grade football team narrowly lost their final against St Bernards College; Newlands had 4 teams in the Netball Wellington finals. Newlands No.9 (Y9!!) beat Newlands No.6 in an all Newlands encounter whilst Newlands 11 unfortunately lost their finals; the Smallbore Team participated in the inter-collegiate shoot held over two Sundays in August where we were placed 7th out of 10 schools.
- And from tournament week: Netball: – The Girls finished 12th out of 64 teams. Football: – The Boys finished 11th out of 21 teams. U15 Rugby: – The team finished 13th equal out of 16 teams.
What a term! Next term also sees the return of Ms Mills who has been away on sabbatical during Term 3. She will return to being the Deputy Principal of Y9. It’s been a pleasure working with Ms King while Ms Mills has been away, and will continue to have contact with the Year Level through her role as Assistant Principal and as an English teacher.
Have a safe a happy holiday!